- Reduction of household food waste being put in wheelie-bin and then on to landfill, contributing to local and national government targets on waste/landfill reduction. Once all installed wormeries are properly established, this will amount to up to 11.5t reduction in food waste to landfill per year, equivalent to about 5tCO2e saving pa.
- Home-made supply of rich worm compost to grow food locally
- Established and supporting a growing network of over 60 worm composters in the community
- Had an impact on all schools in the Dunbar/East Linton area and through educational programme raised awareness of waste problems and inherent benefits of collecting, sorting and recycling waste
- All local schools are now composting food waste and using this to deliver the curriculum for excellence
- Participants responding well and enthusiastically to the project